1/18/2005

with measured steps...


Although I balked the other night when a friend mocked me for "counting hits," I have to admit to periodically checking up on where this blog's traffic is coming from. I noticed this weekend that multiple entries had come from a secured zone at the web site of They Walk In Line, a band that readers probably won't recall having been poked fun at around here. Upon following the link, a page on the band's website informed me that, "This server could not verify that you are authorized to access the document requested."

Was Promocopy being discussed behind closed doors? My very own? I can only dream that anyone is paying so much attention.

Nonetheless, sap that I am, I began to feel bad for dismissing this band before hearing its record, even though my criticisms in that post had specifically to do with an uncreative band name (one that unfortunately evokes the image of mechanical adherence to a mindless structure). (What?! This blog's about music promotion, after all.) To boot, the band's bio finds the group compared to various "pillars of alternative/indie rock" while admitting that, as recently as one year ago, "the band was not ready to settle on a direction"--immediately followed by a brief description of meeting with some A&R dude (gets a band focu$ed every time).

I combed the incoming media pile for this disc--which I don't remember seeing--fruitlessly, giving up to the notion that perhaps this band's publicist sent only the one-sheet, which actually happens quite often.

Fortunately, as it were, the band's site boasts mp3s: one track from the band's forthcoming LP Medical Necessities, and two from a former EP. Midtempo, slightly whiney, shoegazer stuff with inoffensive and predictable soft/loud exchanges, all reverby and comfy with echo. Not at all terrible.

So there you are. I'm not taking anything back, but now I can say with a guilt-free conscience that this band's name is worse than its music. And in all fairness, it's not like naming your band after a song penned by another band is without precedent. I'm sorry if I gave anyone that impression.

3 Comments:

Blogger Yasir said...

I wonder how many people realised that you have multiple links for the sentence: it's not like naming your band after a song penned by another band is without precedent.

Clevah!

10:30 AM  
Blogger KevinK said...

That's funny, reading our webstat logs is how I found your site. Nothing scandalous going on behind the scenes at theywalkinline.com, just me trying to keep track of band news.

Thanks for listening! I appreciate the honesty.

Cheers,
Kevin (guitarist for TWIL)

1:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there, just wanted to say, I liked this blog post.
It was funny. Keep on posting!

Here is my web blog :: Bennie

7:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home