1/13/2005

precipitation

'Bout time the criticism started coming in. Everything I've heard about this blog so far has just been so very kind, so it's nice to hear a real response from the likes of catherine's PITA:
if i was having a little parent-teacher conference with the following blog's mom, i'd say it has a lot of potential: promocopy, wherein a bored music writer aims to skewer music publicists. a little highlighting would go a long way, anonymous. no one wants to read reams and reams of that shit for no apparent reason.
I guess a good excuse would be that I'm bored. Not to be difficult, but I'm a little unclear on what highlighting means. Given the sentence that follows, I think it may have something to do with editing. Point taken.

Also big thanks to Michaelangelo Matos , a writer whose work I greatly admire, for mentioning this new blog. I've yet to make a firm decision on the biggest problem with Promocopy, but its primary agenda being criticism of a subject matter that is largely only on the radar of people who write about indie rock music and know what it's like to deal with publicists is probably top three for me at this point. I think Matos is near the mark, noting that this blog is seemingly only for writers who work in this very self-centered arena.

I do, however, get some satisfaction out of the possibility that readers might take away from this blog that independent music is very much an industry, an evolving monster, complete with its own set of crooked and manipulative ringleaders. While I'm open to the argument that independent music can be art, the way that we are exposed to it is commerce, and in the past fifteen years folks have been figuring out how to make some serious profit without really sacrificing too much indie cultural capital.

If this is all clear to you, step back into the embrace of "us writer types" and make some room for those kids (myself included, although really no longer a kid) spending time mocking the unwashed masses. We've got our own wee capitalism going on out here, and I'm just taking a few notes, hoping to shed a little light on the topic.

Again, thanks very much to Catherine and Michaelangelo for their advice, which plays a significant hand in my attempt to hone and focus this young blog.

1 Comments:

Blogger Yasir said...

The indie vs. commercial argument is redundent; I haven't yet come across a band who don't want to be hugely successful and make a ton of cash and be famous. I know look at a band's ethics for "compatibility", if I want that deeper relationship.

PS I can't post on my blog...waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah something's wrong with blogger!

1:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home