1/20/2005

floating in my tin can [sic]


In case anyone out there recognized the first Fischerspooner album as "a shot heard around the world, an end-of-the millennium musical statement of pure digital and visual style," this one's for you. Come April 5, the art-pop goes back on stage with Fischerspooner's sophomore release, Odyssey.

(In some ways, I don't even know why I'm approaching this topic: Is there any way that promotional copy about Fischerspooner could not be ridiculously over the top?)

Ahem. According to Jason Roth at Capital (that's EMI), the duo's new album, Odyssey ("so named for the unexpected emotional and artistic journey it took to make") is no less than "a vast musical leap forward, and its realization would...stretch the duo to their physical and creative breaking point." Gosh.

"For their second album, Fischerspooner had a new agenda--to create a cohesive album of songs"... Hah! Ok, just kidding. That's selective quotation. "...that were more expressive and emotional than their predecessors." Much improved.

"Like the albums that inspired it, Odyssey is a bona fide headphone album, layered with hidden sounds and ideas that reward the close listener. 'I was thinking of songs I remembered hearing on the radio as a kid,' says Fischer.  'That warm seventies FM sound coming off the radio from bands like The Beatles or Pink Floyd.'" [sigh]

Why even bother with the musicality of it all when it seems clear to anyone paying attention that the stage show is really what Fischerspooner is about. I mean, look at that picture above. That's not even anyone involved with the music! That's just the help! Fischerspooner is way less about music than it is art. And by "art," I'm talking about halfway between this type of thing and this. Am I wrong?

Although I think that's enough, this dude cut/pasted track by track info from the press release. Go ahead and look--you know you want to.

OK, Just one more delectably pretentious nugget from this press release, which goes on about how "Spooner reached out to the unlikely pairing of hit songwriter Linda Perry and pre-eminent intellectual Susan Sontag in a bid to reflect the twin pillars of their inspiration--high art and pop culture."

Spooner: "When I approached Susan, it was September 2003. I went to her house and had this fantasy that we would pick something to work on together from my notebook of ideas." 

Roth: "Instead, after a brief discussion, she disappeared into her library and returned fifteen minutes later with a printed sheet of lyrics titled 'We Need A War.'"

Spooner: "I read them and said, I don't think I can say the word 'war.' I'm not comfortable saying it." 

Sontag: "You need to get comfortable saying it. Your president approved eighty billion dollars for a war in Iraq yesterday."

fin

3 Comments:

Blogger Joel said...

If I recall correctly, wasn't Fischerspooner's first record itself covered in laudatory quotes? Like in the tray card and everything?

It seems like positioning a band as a culturally "important" phenomenon is a really bad way to promote them.

I am reminded of the trying-too-hard promo copy for that whole "The Forms" thing. Or Three Spheres, or whatever it was. Does anyone remember that?

4:44 PM  
Blogger Joel said...

If I recall correctly, wasn't Fischerspooner's first record itself covered in laudatory quotes? Like in the tray card and everything?

It seems like positioning a band as a culturally "important" phenomenon is a really bad way to promote them.

I am reminded of the trying-too-hard promo copy for that whole "The Forms" thing. Or Three Spheres, or whatever it was. Does anyone remember that?

4:45 PM  
Blogger Yasir said...

Anyone remember Gaydad?

5:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home