1/22/2005

big city nights



This info courtesy of Jon Galkin over at DFA: The new LCD Soundsystem site is up, where you can find videos for "Daft Punk Is Playing At My House" and "Movement," two tracks from LCD's forthcoming LP (in stores 2/15). Both videos are fairly boring but mere dressing for two fairly righteous songs, the latter of which documents James Murphy's sustained evolution toward Mark E. Smith (in vocal if not in lyricism) better than anything else on the record. All in my humble opinion, of course.

The video for "Daft Punk..." makes direct allusions to Spike Jonze's video for--and this makes perfect sense, really--Daft Punk's "Da Funk." There's also this corny in-the-red motif throughout the video, as well as a conspicuously near-absolute presence of caucasians, which I guess is all part of the DFA revolution.

But that's all promocrap--the songs themselves, particularly "Daft Punk...," are damned catchy, and I've been listening pretty regularly. There are also a few fine promocopy.blogspot.com possibilities in the press release for the album, but out of respect to the disc's publicist, I will promote this thing no further.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually the video mostly makes direct allusions to Daft Punk's video for "Around The World" directed to Michel Gondry, not "Da Funk".

-Your fact checking cuz

10:20 AM  
Blogger [promocopy Robot] said...

I stand bested! While I don't recall having seen the vid for "Around the World," I found some stills and there does indeed appear to be a more obvious correlation with that video than with "Da Funk". I was struck by the sped-up street photography that appears in both the videos for "Da Funk" and "Daft Funk Is Playing At My House," but there surely does seem to be a way more liberal borrowing of material (costumes at very least) from "Around the World." Thank you Anonymous Daft Punker!

10:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home