12/06/2004

ultimate kylie double cd to be released in us feb. 1

"Ultimate Kylie is the only comprehensive collection of greatest hits from Australian pop princess Kylie Minogue, one of the world's top selling female artists.," etc.

I get press releases every day from publicists promoting records (occasionally literal vinyl LPs) that will never get within a time zone of popular acceptance. These folks are looking for press from me because I write for publications that will run reviews of albums based on the artistic merit of the music regardless of profitability potential. I understand this sort of exchange.

But I'm a little confused about what difference a Kylie Minogue review will make for record sales, whether that review is in the sort of 50,000-circ publications I write for or the several-hundreds-of-thousands-circ rags that fans of the world's top selling artists read. Hasn't MTV proved to be a better vehicle for those types of artists to reach an audience? Not to underestimate anyone's intellectual curiosity for insightful, critical commentary on Kylie Minogue's art, but I kind of doubt that she sells any significant number of units because people are reading positive reviews in Entertainment Weekly and Rolling Stone? Let alone the type of magazines I write for.

Why would this publicist even care what I think? Really.

Are promo copies of this record worth so little that they can be wasted (in the grand scheme of this record's promotional life) on me? Is the time that it takes to find my address, print a label and stuff an envelope so worthless? (Yes, "worthless," because I'll go on record as saying that I cannot imagine giving a Kylie Minogue album a good review in this lifetime, and not a whole lot of what I've ever written about music suggests otherwise.)

I think Capitol Records (that's EMI) may have a little too much money to burn. Not that I mind having some of it thrown at me--I mean, Jesus, we're talking Kylie here--but just saying.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home